Wednesday 22 November 2006

Lighting up the Music

A possibility to write things! Starting as a simple experiment to see who reads this and finds my writings worthy of reading. About the content of this blog: I am not intending to tell life-stories here. At this point I also want to try to avoid this blog of becoming a dumping ground for all my random thoughts. I would rather see a structured movement towards an enrichment of my mind and feelings.

At this moment, I intend to talk about music, but will not exclude the possibility of talking about other things in the future (if I am at all persistent enough to keep up this activity of writing). I have a love for many things, different forms of art, nature, science, philosophy, friendship and to a certain extent also literature and poetry, so perhaps I am tempted to write also about other things than music.

The idea I had, was to pick a song from time to time, and analyse it, in various ways. It most likely would be my interpretation of a song, and I do not intend to generalize the feelings I have with the song. I will also always try to take the positive aspects from the song, avoiding my comments to become a review or critique towards the song in any possible way. I am not rating music, I am discussing it, loving it, admiring it, bringing it to the one who is reading, I am worshipping it. Nothing else.

I think that I will pick the more commonly known songs and tracks, or at least accessible, than the quite unfamiliar albums that I have in my collection. This, both because I do not wish to emphasize on songs that no one knows (it would be quite boring to read perhaps) and I want to connect with ideas of others. So I think it will be the more popular music, but still the songs that did not get enough emphasis in my perspective. Do forgive me if I pick songs that are unknown to you... I will try to see to it that the songs I pick are also somewhere to be found on the internet, for online listening.

I welcome all comments on my writings, as long as it is constructive and can help towards a better understanding. Both people who disagree and people who feel the same about the songs are welcome to let me know about this. In fact, I would love the idea of communicating about music with anyone who feels both challenged and attracted to that idea. But I will only engage in these communications, if it holds a respectful mind towards music in general and the musicians involved in the songs.

About me: I am very much into music, love to make music and lose myself in it, but am no professional. All my comments must be seen as if an amateur is talking, since I can hardly call myself an expert on any genre of music.

Something more... I will be tempted to continue this in the future only if people find this interesting to read. Otherwise, it would be more logically for me to keep the analysis to myself...

Also, I wish to mention this. I am writing in English, which is not my mother tongue. Though I love the English language, I do not feel that I have full command over it. If at any times I make mistakes in my writings, please understand this much, that I would have rather written in my own language when it comes to expressing myself, but see it as a useful and exciting challenge to write in English.

That’s it for now… First song to be added soon! Let me again emphasize that this is no review or anything of the song. I simply describe what I hear and the notions I find interesting to mention as well as what I feel when listening to the song. These all are personal interpretations, though I do try to keep it general. I however cannot avoid the text becoming a subjective view on a song. I do wish the reader to understand these notions before commenting or misunderstanding my views and writings.

Ah, forgot to mention something. One might wonder why I called this blog 'Light up the Music'. There were several reasons. All the other cool names that I thought of were already in use. I had the help of a very good friend of mine, a young and talented musician himself, going by the (artist)name of Genesis, who came up with some very good titles; but unfortunately none of those were available. After brainstorming on this matter, we came up with 'Light up the Music', since it would mostly be a blog about music, and shedding a different light upon it. An interesting other interpretation can be given; Deepak also means 'light' in Hindi. I do not claim in any way to be connected with music as if I would be ‘the light’, but I found it an interesting use of the meaning of the words.

I will leave it at this for now. It’s already quite long… :)

No comments: